HERMANN OAK LEATHER STORY
Louis Charles Hermann started tanning here in 1881 to handle the local harness trade and to supply the wagon trains of settlers travelling west along the Lewis and Clark trails.
The tannery grew, and Fred Hermann Sr. joined the company in 1907. He proceeded to supply leather for our soldiers throughout both World Wars.
Fred Hermann Jr. joined the company soon after World War II, in 1948. The country was experiencing rapid growth and development and the demand for specialized leathers increased. Using the firm's detailed knowledge of speciality vegetable tanning, he expanded into a range of leathers each of which share the superior tooling, carving, and molding characteristics leatherworkers have come to value.
Shep Hermann joined the company in 1985. He is also committed to the traditional tanning process of the past while investing in new technology and lean manufacturing systems for the future. Shep actively manages the business today.